Monday, May 10, 2010

***Caution*** Deep and Meaningful post ahead ;)

So.

Does anyone else ever sit back and think over the past? About how those things that seemed sooooo terrible and hurtful and awful at the time might actually have prepared one perfectly for the here and now?

As my close friends know, I had a reasonably train-wrecky year last year relationship wise.

*shudders*

Urk. Without going into too much gut-wrenching detail, I split up with my long-term partner (my decision...which I had actually been putting off for some time...it just seems easier sometimes to continue on in a relationship that isn't really working - and hasn't been for some time - rather than exposing oneself to the vagaries of being over 30 and single...) in December 2008 and then spent 2009 lurching from one dating / relationship disaster to the other.

I'm pretty sure my friends were thinking about staging some serious interventions there at various stages, such was my ridiculosity and certain behaviour being entirely unlike my normal, sensible, level-headed self.

Anyways, at one point during the year I was writing in my diary lamenting the lack of a 'nice' man for me. 'Cos I'm nice (or at least I like to think so), and I couldn't grasp why the men I was meeting were so freakin' awful!!! So in a fit of angst, I poured my little heart out into my diary and listed down the things I wanted (no, wait, the things I deserved darnit!!) in a man. Not things like tall, dark and handsome...but important-to-me qualitative personality traits. Kindness. Intelligence. Et cetera. You get the gist.

So. Some months pass. I meet several fellows who meet most of my criteria. One of which completely broke my heart. As in completely wrenched- it- from- my- chest- couldn't- eat- for -weeks. Still don't know what his problem was, but I bet it's hard to pronounce!!

Then I met him.

The one.

The sweetest, nicest, most lovely fellow.

Who is perfect for me in every way, which I know sounds super cheesy...but it's true. He's not completely without baggage himself, but hey, who over 30 is? It's really how you carry that baggage away from the carousel that matters!!

And it's almost as though everything that's happened to us both in our relationship histories has prepared both of us completely, perfectly well for the two of us to be together now. We get along ridiculously well and have a ludicrous amount in common. A ludicrous amount. Weird.

I've been thinking about this a bit in the last several weeks for various reasons. I'm a bit of a thinker from time to time (some would claim an over-thinker!).

And then I found my diary from last year. On the last page was my little diatribe about useless men, blah blah, and what I wanted.

And you know what...he's everything on that list.

Which makes me very happy indeed.

But what is even funnier is that I had to make up a 'fake' boyfriend at one point last year (due to having a sort of co-worker who turned into a bit of a stalker). And my current squeeze exactly resembles the faux-boyfriend of fiction. Right down to his job and hobbies

o_O

(Don't worry, I've checked...he's a real person :D)

Is there a moral to this story? Not really, but sometimes I wonder if the Universe (or your God or not-God of choice...we're mutli-denominational / multi-belief and very accepting here in the WKDN household) is totally working us to a plan.

Have a great week.

xx

No comments: