Tuesday, April 28, 2009

WIP Weekend (and more...)








Well, it's been a long weekend over here in WA, as we had a Public Holiday on Monday for ANZAC Day. Not sure why as I don't believe any of the other states had one *shrugs* but, not matter! Public Holidays - the Great Australian Institution.


So, I put the long weekend to good use to clear out a few WIP's. *sigh*


I really should finish one project before I start another from a completely different craft...


I managed to finish the mini quiltlet I was making from fabrics I received from the Amitie Textiles Blog VIP mailout. I absolutely loved the fabrics they sent me. They were so pretty and spring-like. I supplemented with a few fabrics from the stash and whipped this little fella up. Apologies for the lumpiness - it needs a good pressing to make it behave.



Is it just me, or do these little easter egg decorations look like multi-coloured sperm swimming along my kitchen table???



I also finished up a little felt owl applique that I cut out months ago. Once I finished sewing the pieces together I was a bit stuck as to what to actually do with it...pop it on a hand made bag? Make it into a brooch? I pondered and pondered until I was cleaning the side of my fridge, and there were all these 'free' magnets that you get in the mail or from the mechanics etc. I don't use them because they're unattractive and I have cute magnets that I would much rather look at. Suddenly, I had a lightbulb moment and with the held of a little PVA glue, et voila! An owl magnet :) Yay!!


So, in the spirit of the WIP Weekend that I have just enjoyed, I thought I would put in a BIG EFFORT and have a WIP WEEK, where I work on nothing but WIP's. That should clear some of them out, and leave room for the list of new projects that I am already compiling...


To start off the WIP WEEK, here is a list (in no particular order) of all the projects I currently have outstanding:


Project 1 - A Thimbleberries BOM quilt. I've had most of the top completed for some time. I just have to add the second border. And buy the backing fabric. And quilt it;

Project 2 - Bento Box Quilt. Again, I've had the top pieced for some time and partly quilted. I have had to unpick some of the quilting as I have this terrible quilting disability where I fail to keep the backing fabric taut enough and it gets all caught up and folded over and unfortunate. So, I finished the quilting of the main pieced section on the weekend, and now I just have to decide how to quilt the borders and add in some hand quilting and then I'm done;

Project 3 - As previously mentioned, I'm knitting a scarf for a friend. As a rule a scarf should be as long as the recipient is tall (apparently). Bec is about 6ft. Perhaps I should've started with a shorter friend...I'm about a foot and a half along at the moment;

Project 4 - My knitted afghan. This has been going on for approximately 12-months thus far. Basically, I got hold of a book that has 200 knitted blocks in it and I thought it would be a brilliant idea to knit up an afghan rug. I've finished all the single coloured blocks in the book and am now about a third of the way through the multi-coloured blocks. It takes me about an hour to two hours to make each block, but I can only make one per night due to the RSI I have in my right wrist;

Project 5 - Les Lapins cross stitch. Ummm, started this about 10 years ago on printed sail cloth (actually could be longer than 10 years...maybe 15???) Never really liked the idea of stitching onto fabrics that aren't Aida or Hardanger cloth, so it got folded up and put in the back of the cupboard whilst I went onto other stitching projects. Dragged it out just recently (read : was having a cleanout and found it hidden in the back of the drawer) and decided I would jsut get a bit of Aida cloth in the right count and whip it up;

Project 6 - Hardanger embroidery napkins. Started these last year for my (now) ex-boyfriends mother. Suffice to say as that relationship has ended I am no longer sending her gifts...Have done two napkins and might try and finish the others in time for me to send these off to my own mum for Mothers Day...;

Project 7 - A baby blanket I started about 5 years ago for a pregnant friend. Needless to say, her baby is now 4-ish and no longer in need of a blanket, but I am over half way through and can't really frog it back, so think I will finish the blanket and then give it to charity or the childrens hospital, or something.

2 comments:

CurlyPops said...

What a cool idea for a magnet!
I didn't know that a scarf was supposed to be as tall as the person... you learn something new every day!

Kgirl said...

Thanx :) I think the scarf thing applies to those scarfs where it's meant to be wrapped around the neck a few times. I'm sure I read it somewhere, which CLEARLY makes it the truth ;)