Monday, October 6, 2008

Busy as a bee ......bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Whew!!

::wipes sweat from brow::

I had a HUGE sewing weekend. Started off Saturday with a 70km round trip. Just. To. Get. Some. Yarn.

Yep, seems that the yarn I was using for my afghan blanket is a Lincraft proprietary brand. There is now only one Lincraft store in the Perth metro area. In Whitfords. Which is approximately 30 kilometres from my place.

::Sigh::

So I set out on my intrepid journey, thinking that I would be super sneaky and pop into two other craft / fabric chain stores on my way home. Ones in different suburbs than I would usually go to. Northern suburbs (I'm a SOR - South of the River - gal). So, all is going well. I get what I need from Lincraft, and set out back onto the freeway to Osborne Park / Innaloo (stop yer sniggering...it's pronounced as it looks and it is a real suburb. For the people from the US of A who are unaware, a 'loo' is a bathroom. That's right In-A-Loo...or In-A-Bathroom if that works for you).

Anyhoo, I CANNOT FIND THE STORES I AM LOOKING FOR!!! One appears to have been razed to the ground and is now a construction site, but the other...::poof::... gone. WTF??!?

::rolls eyes::

So after circling the block three times, I throw in the towel and head back SOR to safe and familiar suburbs where I know where the stores are. Success!!

No pics of my spoils as MR WKDN is away visiting his family for a family reunion, and hence has taken 'HIS' camera with him. Pfft.

But, I got my yarn...plus more contrasting yarn...plus a cable needle...plus some fabric for more Sergei's (Sergei's recipients older sister has put in a special request. We'll see what Santa can manage, shall we!!)...plus some letter stamps...plus a zipper...plus the extra fabric for the MIL's bag...plus some cool Moda Sock monkey fabrics...plus a couple of stray fat quarters. That is all ;)

Well, I sewed and sewed and sewed....and then sewed some more! Broke one needle and two nails ::sigh:: oh well, that's what you get.

I made a small bird stuffie as a gift for a work friend (from www.spoolsewing.com), one large and one small bags WITH ZIPPERS!!! (from www.dragoknit.blogspot.com) I should just point out that this is an EXCELLENT tutorial. I only had to refer to it for the first bag I made. For the second I did it from memory. That is how simple and easy to understand the tute is. I finished the MIL's bag. It turned out quite a bit larger than I was imagining, but I am still quite pleased with it (she's only a little lady and she could near on use the bag as a pup tent, but I figure with 7 grandkids and another on the way she's gonna need a big bag!!). No pattern for the bag as I just made it up as I went, but it did have a crewel embroidery panel I did myself a few years ago as the front panel.

Then onto the papercrafts for birthday cards to go with the gifts I'm preparing for the October-birthday-a-thon we are experiencing here.

Plus I knitted about 6 afghan squares. Which, whilst it might not sound like much, I do have RSI so have to take things real careful (it's a bummer when a work inflicted injury takes such a toll on your leisure time...), so 6 whole squares is quite an achievement!!

Wow. That is a LOT of stuff (for me anyway) as well as getting in a short run on Sunday, grocery shopping on Saturday, cleaning, washing, dishes, general household maintenance etc and a swim on Sunday.

I'm exhausted all over again just thinking about it ;)

No comments: