Sunday, May 3, 2009

Granny Along

(Visit Pip @ Meet Me At Mikes for some instructions about crocheting granny squares)




I don't think I was ever taught to crochet - I learnt to knit both from my mum but also at Brownies when I was a wee girl (just the basics obvy). My mum was a reasonably good knitter, and I can recall have all number of knitted ensembles for myself and for my Barbie Dolls too. Everything tricky that I know knitting wise I have picked up from patterns or books or natural attrition.


My Dad's Dad also was a knitter. He spent some time incarcerated in Changi Prison as a POW during WWII, and apparently learned to knit there. He liked to knit his own socks - but he was also quite an accomplished crocheter.





This blanket is one that he crocheted for me after I was born, and considering that Grandpa has not been with us for 22-years, it is something that I treasure deeply. Unfortunately, blankie has previously met with a small 'incident' (as can be seen in the lower left hand corner of the above photo) when my Mum & Dad's dog took a bit of a liking to it one day. Very distressing, but no one that I trust has been able to fix it, partly because the yarn is over 30 years old and we don't really know what it's made off...(please also excuse my feet peeping out of the end...)



It's quite unbelievable - to me anyway! - how tight the crocheting (crochetry??) is in the squares.


Anyway, despite this proud history...below are my own efforts at granny squares..



In ascending order of completion...


Uh-huh...


Did I mention self-taught from instructions found on the internets??? Only been crocheting for a week???


Could be PLENTY worse I reckon


(except I didn't take any photos of the really really baaaaadddd ones that I pulled apart...)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Day 3 of 31 (or 365) - I bought some fabric yesterday to attempt to make my first ever item of clothing...a skirt for work...it has a lining...this may have been too ambitious...



No comments: