Friday, May 8, 2009

High Finance.


*gulp*

I just got pre-approved this afternoon for my first ever home loan.

And quite frankly, the thought of all that responsibility is making me feel a little ill : /

I realise that it's unusual for someone of my *ahem* advancing age (and not mention profession) to never have owned their own home, but life events have previously conspired against me to prevent actual home ownership! The good aspect to this is that I am (still) eligibile for the First Home Owners Grant.

So today I bucked up, did some sums, pushed a few buttons and am now the proud owner of a Pre-Approval Certificate.

*gulp*

Now, I do actually work in a Bank, but it has been a number of years since I did any home lending, and ohmygosh, it's really difficult to NOT know. You know what I mean? Like, I know a LOT about business banking and financial statements and cashflow forecasts and ratios and business lending products and stuff...but HOME LENDING??? Not so much. Now I know how the darn customers feel ;)

Egad.

I gotta tell ya, it's all got me slightly freaked out, and I think it's cos I'm going into this all by myself. There will be nobody else to shoulder the burden. Just me. Just little ole me paying all the mortgage payments and bills and costs. And whilst I am pretty sure that I can pull it off (cos trust me I would NOT be doing this if I couldnt...I've seen it end badly too many times for too many people) it is kinda daunting when you know that you've finally grown up and the buck stops with you. I mean, if things got really tough my folks would help as much as they could, but I don't want to be in that position.

So, wish me luck in the actual formal application process and the finding somewhere to buy bit of it also! After all, there is a 30 June deadline. Ha! Nothing like leaving these things to the last minute to add to the nervous feeling in the pit of one's stomach ; )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 8 of 31 (or 365) - listening to some jazz n stuff on the iPod stereo to try and calm my fiscal related nerves. Not sure if it's succeeding...

1 comment:

CurlyPops said...

Good luck! I felt physically ill for at least 24 hours when I signed on the dotted line for my first home. The good news is that it does get better, and less stressful!