Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I'm baaaaacccck :)

In more ways than one!

Back in Perth (thank goodness...) and back online as my mobile Broadband now works. Yay!!

Wow. Whilst I do love Albany as I grew up there, I have been living in Perth now for nearly 5-years. What I didn't realise is what a 'city girl' I've actually become!!

I haven't been back down to Albany since ANZAC Day last year, so over 12-months has passed. The town itself has changed very little - oh, there's a Spotlight store and one of the shopping 'malls' (I use that term quite loosely) has expanded so there's now a Target Country and a Dome Coffee Shop and a Gloria Jeans. Other than that, it's as though time has almost stood still.

And it's sooooooooooooooooooo quiet. I wandered down the main street on Monday morning about 10am. I don't even think 20 cars passed me. Certainly 20 people did not!!! I had high heels on with jeans and a long-line jacket and felt COMPLETELY over dressed. Even the cafes were closed! Where on earth do cafes close on a Monday?? Not to mention the whole cant-get-mobile-broadband thing. Pfft.

It was a very weird feeling indeed. Not nostalgia...more like depression. It's as though I've changed vastly in the last 5-years, but in my hometown time (and the people) have stood still. And I have to say - nothing against the residents of Albany at all, because goodness knows my parents are still there - but it was a really, really odd feeling, to the point where I simply could not wait to get out of there.

Which makes me wonder a little whether it was always like that but I never noticed until I went away...

What's that saying...something about you can never go home again??? Not because home is different - but because YOU are.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 12 of 31 (or 365) - Dang. 800km round trip = nearly $90 in petrol + angst from the parentals (well, mostly my mother...) + freaky return to hometown that depressed me + terrible speeding drivers who are not content with doing 110km/h (which is the speed LIMIT people. Key word: Limit). Whew. Glad to be back home in the city ;)

No comments: